Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tuesday 24th October.
Lilian and I headed off to Rostrevor today to do some geocaching. We did one called “Narnia”.
Interesting note on this cache.
'When Disney scoured the world looking for a location to play Narnia's mythical landscape, they chose New Zealand's fantastical soaring mountains and sun-scorched grassy plains. It would have pleased CS Lewis, Narnia's creator, but it wouldn't have resonated with his love of 'Northernness'. For Lewis the portal into Narnia was far closer to home - Ulster.'

'I have seen landscapes, notably in the Mourne Mountains and southwards which under a particular light made me feel that at any moment a giant might raise his head over the next ridge,'
he wrote in his essay On Stories. While living in England he spoke of the magic of Northern Ireland: 'I yearn to see County Down in the snow, one almost expects to see a march of dwarfs dashing past. How I long to break into a world where such things were true. That part of Rostrevor which overlooks Carlingford Lough is my idea of Narnia.'
Turned out a beautiful late afternoon and evening.

No comments: