Tuesday, August 21, 2007

One of my regular stops every day has become the "Coffee Day" Cafe on what is called the CMH Road, (The full name is too long!) Their slogan is, "A lot can happen over a cup of coffee". A lot can happen over a cup of coffee here because it moves at India speed and there's nothing "express" about their espresso! I usually sit outside in a covered terrace and on the street outside and watch life pass me by. From "Elecrical engineers" climbing telegraph poles in their bare feet to fix the supply to camel drivers and ox carts and a family on a scooter, "all human life is there!"

In the little booth facing the coffee shop a lady sells sweets, single cigarettes and tiny cups of tea to local men. (The tea comes in the sort of little plastic cup that you sometimes get with a bottle of medicine to measure out the dose!) It's also at a cross roads which always makes for drama with Bangalore traffic. Most days I'm there I see a minor "bump in traffic" accident and a great hullabaloo for five minutes which everybody joins in on.


Today when I arrived a tight rope walker had set up her equipment and for 15 minutes entertained us all with an amazing display. Not only walking, but then walking with a lid on one foot which she deftly lifted off and on the rope with every step. Then she walked across with her feet inside a cycle wheel and finally went across kneeling on a lid and pushing herself forward with her toes! She managed to collect a few Rupees from the onlookers, before the police arrived and moved her on! I've included some pictures of what is happening outside while I'm waiting for my coffee. I'm reading a copy of "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling during my time in India. The young lady told me that was her name. When I pointed out to her that her name badge didn't say that, she told me that "Kim" was her pet name. She is a real pet, no doubt about it.

Passed a booth at the side of the road selling engraved plastic signs. The owner had three samples of his work on display, "NO SMOKING" "WELCOME" & "ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY"! I suspect the last one isn't a big seller!
Bought a bag of coffee on the way home. 18 rupees. There are 80 rupees to £1. So it must be good stuff! I'll let you know!

2 comments:

peter.mcivor said...

I hope your not getting involved in the RTA discussions. Enjoying seeing India through your lens. God bless, we miss you

Lindsay & Lilian said...

I learnt from a previous job not to get involved in RTA discussions! But it's great craic watching and you don't need to speak Hindi to understand what's being said! It's the same conversation all over the world. Has tuned wet here and (thankfully) a little cooler! We miss all you guys too! God bless