Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Had an interesting experience in the early hours of Tuesday morning. I was lying dozing in bed half awake and half asleep when I saw through the far window, what appeared to be a fire starting outside the house. But it seemed to be about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. I then saw the fire approach the window and realise that in fact it was a lighted match or taper. The window had been closed but unlocked and someone outside had pulled it open and was reaching through the bars with this lighted taper. A long black arm stretched into the room holding this lighted match as a torch and moved it back and forwards, obviously peering into the ground floor bedroom in which Lilian and I were sleeping. I stared hard trying to make out the face against the bars but it was too dark and the flame from the taper was making it impossible to see past it.
I lay on for a moment considering what to do.
I assumed whoever it was could see us lying in bed but reckoned we were asleep and I was wondering how I could slip out of bed and grab the arm and hold on to him. However I saw that the flame from the paper he was holding was now quite considerable and in real danger of setting fire to the curtains. So I shouted out at him, (frightened the daylights out of Lilian who was fast asleep!) and he ran off. By he time I unbolted our bedroom door and then the front door of the house and got outside he was well gone and as I was dressed only in a pair of pyjama bottoms and in my bare feet I didn't pursue him!

2 comments:

the bald eagle said...

Scarey moment or not! But one good point, at last you have seen the light.

silver said...

To misinterpret the verse "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away" What would you have done if you had cornered the firey stranger and he had pulled a knife? It can be a good thing to have our footwear taken away. The Lord had his hand in the situation and it's a wonderful thing. But scarey all the same.